|The Veterans Strategic Legal Resource Pro Bono Challenge is a unique aspiration. The Challenge articulates a single,
unitary standard for one key segment of our honored society and the legal professions ability to contribute to it. We solicit
attorney/law firms to become Signatories to the Challenge and acknowledge their institutional, profession-wide
commitment to provide pro bono legal services to low income and disadvantaged veterans and their families and
non-profit groups. To help attorney/firms honor this commitment, the Veterans Strategic Legal Resource Project assists
attorney/law firms in creating a supportive environment that promotes pro bono service.
|Seeking legal representation can be frustrating and intimidating. Word-of-mouth referrals from well-meaning friends or acquaintances at work can
be disastrous. Searching for the right lawyer in telephone directories is a shot in the dark. A large Yellow Page ad only says that the lawyer can
afford to pay for it. And Bar Association referral services simply must recommend all of their lawyers on a rotational basis, without considering
your specific needs. Veterans Strategic Legal Resources Inc, was commissioned with the Veterans needs in mind and will provide
Maximum Feasible Participation.
We are currently in the process of collecting information needed for a feasibility study that would diminish the Veterans
Administration’s 4th national unmet need - Legal Services for disadvantaged veterans and their families.
The mission of VSLR/Mobile 2.0 is to prevent, ameliorate, or resolve legal problems that confront disadvantaged veterans and
their families by providing professional legal counseling and assistance where legal service would not otherwise be readily
available. VSLR/Mobile 2.0 also seeks to educate veterans about their legal rights and responsibilities through informational
programs and materials, as well as individual counseling.
Assistance with legal problems is an unmet and essential service for veterans, as legal problems can jeopardize a veteran’s
performance and development in making a smooth transition back into mainstream society. VSLR/Mobile 2.0 hopes to assists in
alleviating these obstacles that prevent disadvantaged veterans from the most basic of services and opportunities in order to
maximize the quality of basic civil rights.
A project to transport veteran legal resources to veterans around the nation is now being evaluated on the basis of seven
(1) to publicize information on veterans legal services provided by the project,
(2) to make available legal resources, and other veteran services otherwise not available,
(3) to demonstrate effective pro bono veterans legal services and to educate the community of unmet needs,
(4) to develop a nation-wide veterans legal services network,
(5) to make available materials and support that legal service providers can use to assist veterans unmet needs by utilizing
technological innovation and nonconventional possibilities,
(6) to develop a partnership with local attorney/law firms, and to explore and identify new approaches to - and resources for - the
provision of legal services to disadvantaged Veterans and their families and other individuals or groups that assist veterans to
secure legal assistance to address critical problems.
(7) to make veterans services information available to survey a state by state awareness of services and satisfaction.
PROJECTED SERVICES and POLICIES
In furtherance of its mission, the principal functions performed by VSLR/Mobile 2.0 will be:
1. Counseling the veteran regarding a legal problem and describing the options available to the veteran, including answering
questions or explaining the individual’s legal rights and responsibilities. This counseling is privileged and confidential.
2. Negotiating on behalf of the veteran with other parties to a legal problem, e.g,,landlords, creditors, insurance companies,
public and private dispensers of consumer services, and various Government departments.
3. Drafting letters and legal documents for the veteran or assisting the veteran in the drafting of these documents.
4. Aid the veteran in seeking the assistance of an attorney who can represent him/her in cases where courtroom appearances are
likely and providing appropriate assistance or referrals.
5. Preparing and presenting programs and materials on legal issues of interest to veterans, e.g, speaking at Veteran Service
Organizations, conducting workshops for veteran groups, disseminating brochures on common legal problems, and developing
and maintaining an informational Web site.
6. Training and supervising staff who volunteer to present veterans’ cases at Veteran Committee hearings.
7. Training law student from Law Schools to interview and counsel veterans, as well as to perform research, drafting, and other
legal services for the veteran client.
8. Recruit Attorney/Firms and Law Students to become partners.
9. Strategically establish a VSLR satellite branch within each state.
10. Focus on the ethical underpinnings of this program; every lawyer’s fundamental responsibility to ensure equal access to
justice. Linked to this ethical imperative is the pivotal role-played by VSLR in maintaining the professionalism of the legal
profession. As lawyers seek to preserve the highest ideals of their profession, they must concern themselves not only with the
bottom line, but also with the greater public good.
The primary mission of Veterans Strategic Legal Resources, Inc shall be to operate as a Non Profit-501(c)(3) organization for the
social and economic welfare of U.S. Armed Forces Veterans; provide substantial hands-on assistance directly to homeless
veterans, disadvantaged veterans, their families and non profit groups that support these populations, long-term transitional
assistance, linkage with case management and rehabilitation, available income support and permanent housing, assist in
legal service acquisition, continued education, employment assistance and conduct programs for, charitable, literary and
educational purposes, care and assistance to hospitalized veterans, sponsor or participate in activates of a patriotic nature, and
provide social and recreational activities for veterans and there families. Chairman/CoFounder: Vincent C. DaSilva
Veterans In Prison
|NO VETERAN LEFT BEHIND
|A NATIONS RESPONSIBILITY
|A COMMUNITIES RESPONSIBILITY
|VETERANS REMEMBER YOUR OATH...
" To Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United
States both Foreign and Domestic"
We are the Defenders of the People
Occupy Wall Street