|The Veterans Strategic Legal Resource Pro Bono Challenge is a unique aspiration. The Challenge articulates a single, unitary
standard for one key segment of our honored society and the legal professions ability to contribute to it. We solicit attorney/law
firms to become Signatories to the Challenge and acknowledge their institutional, profession-wide commitment to provide pro bono
legal services to low income and disadvantaged veterans and their families and non-profit groups. To help attorney/firms honor this
commitment, the Veterans Strategic Legal Resource Project assists attorney/law firms in creating a supportive environment that
promotes pro bono service.
We are currently in the process of collecting information needed for a feasibility study that would diminish the Veterans Administration’s
4th national unmet need - Legal Services for disadvantaged veterans and their families.
The mission of VSLR/Mobile 2.0 is to prevent, ameliorate, or resolve legal problems that confront disadvantaged veterans and their families
by providing professional legal counseling and assistance where legal service would not otherwise be readily available. VSLR/Mobile 2.0 also
seeks to educate veterans about their legal rights and responsibilities through informational programs and materials, as well as individual
Assistance with legal problems is an unmet and essential service for veterans, as legal problems can jeopardize a veteran’s performance and
development in making a smooth transition back into mainstream society. VSLR/Mobile 2.0 hopes to assists in alleviating these obstacles
that prevent disadvantaged veterans from the most basic of services and opportunities in order to maximize the quality of basic civil rights.
A project to transport veteran legal resources to veterans around the nation is now being evaluated on the basis of seven objectives:
(1) to publicize information on veterans legal services provided by the project,
(2) to make available legal resources, and other veteran services otherwise not available,
(3) to demonstrate effective pro bono veterans legal services and to educate the community of unmet needs,
(4) to develop a nation-wide veterans legal services network,
(5) to make available materials and support that legal service providers can use to assist veterans unmet needs by utilizing technological
innovation and unconventional possibilities,
(6) to develop a partnership with local attorney/law firms, and to explore and identify new approaches to - and resources for - the provision
of legal services to disadvantaged Veterans and their families and other individuals or groups that assist veterans to secure legal assistance to
address critical problems.
(7) to make veterans services information available to survey a state by state awareness of services and satisfaction.
PROJECTED SERVICES and POLICIES
In furtherance of its mission, the principal functions performed by VSLR/Mobile 2.0 will be:
1. Counseling the veteran regarding a legal problem and describing the options available to the veteran, including answering questions or
explaining the individual’s legal rights and responsibilities. This counseling is privileged and confidential.
2. Negotiating on behalf of the veteran with other parties to a legal problem, e.g,,landlords, creditors, insurance companies, public and
private dispensers of consumer services, and various government departments.
3. Drafting letters and legal documents for the veteran or assisting the veteran in the drafting of these documents.
4. Aid the veteran in seeking the assistance of an attorney who can represent him/her in cases where courtroom appearances are likely and
providing appropriate assistance or referrals.
5. Preparing and presenting programs and materials on legal issues of interest to veterans, e.g, speaking at Veteran Service Organizations,
conducting workshops for veteran groups, disseminating brochures on common legal problems, and developing and maintaining an
informational Web site.
6. Training and supervising staff who volunteer to present veterans’ cases at Veteran Committee hearings.
7. Training law student from Law Schools to interview and counsel veterans, as well as to perform research, drafting, and other legal
services for the veteran client.
8. Recruit Attorney/Firms and Law Students to become partners.
9. Strategically establish a VSLR satellite branch within each state.
10. Focus on the ethical underpinnings of this program; every lawyer’s fundamental responsibility to ensure equal access to justice. Linked
to this ethical imperative is the pivotal role-played by VSLR in maintaining the professionalism of the legal profession. As lawyers seek to
preserve the highest ideals of their profession, they must concern themselves not only with the bottom line, but also with the greater public
The primary mission of Veterans Strategic Legal Resources, Inc shall be to operate as a Non Profit-501(c)(3) organization for the social and
economic welfare of U.S. Armed Forces Veterans; provide substantial hands-on assistance directly to homeless veterans, disadvantaged
veterans, their families and non profit groups that support these populations, long-term transitional assistance, linkage with case
management and rehabilitation, available income support and permanent housing, assist in legal service acquisition, continued
education, employment assistance and conduct programs for, charitable, literary and educational purposes, care and assistance to
hospitalized veterans, sponsor or participate in activates of a patriotic nature, and provide social and recreational activities for veterans
and there families. Founder/Chairman Emeritus - Vincent DaSilva
Veterans In Prison
|NO VETERAN LEFT BEHIND
|A NATIONS RESPONSIBILITY
|A COMMUNITIES RESPONSIBILITY